MTA Fiscal Dashboard
Unpacking New York's Mass Transit Budgets
CBC has updated its interactive tool for exploring the agency’s recent financial performance, the MTA Fiscal Dashboard. The tool displays revenues and expenses by type and allows users to compare the financial performance of business lines including its subways and buses and its commuter railroads.
New to this edition, the tool allows users to consider the MTA’s budget with and without "below-the-line adjustments" i.e. future fare and toll increases, agency efficiencies, and other proposed policy actions in the financial plan. Additionally, users can consider the current allocation of MTA revenue among its revenue sources—fares, tolls, other operating revenues, and dedicated taxes and subsidies—or a potential allocation among these sources using CBC’s preferred framework.
Get started by selecting a business line. To return to the agency-wide view, select the same business line again. Reset the dashboard with the button in the lower lefthand corner.
- Other Expense Adjustments and Build America Bond Subsidy not included.
- Below-the-line adjustments allocate MTA Efficiencies as reductions to Non-labor Expense. Each agency receives MTA Efficiencies according to their share of total MTA operating expense.
- Accrued subsidies estimated by dividing the cash subsidy by business line by cash subsidies agencywide and multiplying by corresponding accrual figure for a given year.
- Commuter railroad debt service is divided by the share of commuter railroad capital commitments for Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad from capital program years 1982 to 2019.
- Commuter railroad subsidies divided by the share of total commuter railroad deficit attributable to the Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad less the Connecticut Department of Transportation Subsidy for Metro-North, which is allocated entirely to the Metro-North Railroad.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Preliminary Budget, July Financial Plan (annual editions 2008 to 2017), http://web.mta.info/mta/budget/.