Effective as of January 15, 2017.
This Privacy Notice describes the practices of Citizens Budget Commission (“Company”,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) regarding the collection and use of personal and other information concerning individuals (“user” or “you”).
We describe how we obtain and use information about a user who interacts with our website or services, how we use it, how we share it, and what choices a user has concerning the information. This Privacy Notice covers users’ activities on websites and mobile applications and our interaction with users online or offline, such as in communications between users and Company (collectively “Platform”). This information helps us build knowledge and technology to interact with users and others
In this Privacy Notice, we describe what information we collect when an individual (“user” or “you”) uses, receives or has access to our Platform, or interacts with us. We also describe how we use, store and protect that information, how long we retain it, with whom we share it, and the privacy choices available to each user.
By using our Platform, or providing information to us, you consent to our collection and use of your information as described in this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice may have to be modified to reflect changes or requirements. Our Privacy Notice will always indicate the date when it was last changed. We encourage you to visit this page regularly to be aware of our current terms.
If we make any material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will post the updated Privacy Notice here, along with its effective date, and notify users as required by applicable law.
Your continued use of the Platform after we have posted changes to this Privacy Notice on this page in accordance with applicable law, and with a new effective date, will indicate that you agree to be bound by such changes. If you do not agree with such changes, you should cease using the service and delete your information as described below in Section “Accessing and Deleting your Information”.
This Privacy Notice describes our practices in connection with the information that we collect through our Platform, which includes the following:
- Our website(s) located at www.cbcny.org (“Site”)
- The software applications that we make available for use on, or through computers and mobile devices (“Apps”)
- Our blogs (“Blogs”)
- Our social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Vimeo (“Social Medial Pages”)
- The HTML-formatted email messages we send you, the correspondence we exchange with you, for example when we respond to a request for information
- Our interaction off-line, such as when you attend an event that we organize or in which we participate.
This Privacy Notice does not address the information practices of any third party, unless as specified otherwise. In particular, the inclusion of a link to a third party’s website or service does not imply endorsement of the third party’s data handling practices, and does not imply that its practices are covered by this Privacy Notice.
“Content” means the information, material, alerts, articles, videos, offers (such as offer to sign up to receive newsletters) and the like that are available from or through the Platform.
“Communications” means the alerts, newsletters, invitations to attend a conference, or other Content that we send you, or that we make available to you when you click on an advertisement or a “read more” button, and the conferences, seminars, webinars and other programs that we organize online, offline, or through telecommunication means.
“Platform” means any or all of the Company’s Websites, Blogs, Social Media Pages, Content, and Communications.
4. What Information We Collect
To run our Platform and show users relevant content we need to know a little about the user and the user’s interests. We outline what information we collect.
Information We Collect Automatically
When a user uses, or interacts with our Platform, or click on a link that directs the user to our Platform, the user’s browser automatically provides, and we automatically collect and store, certain information about the user’s device (computer, tablet, smart phone) and the user’s activities.
This includes, but is not limited to, for example:
- Preferences and settings: time zone, language, and character size;
- Identifiers: IP address; mobile device advertising identifier, Media Access Control (MAC) address;
- Technical information: type of device, operating system name and version, device manufacturer, browser information (type, version), screen resolution;
- Connection: Internet provider or mobile carrier name, connection speed and connection type; Internet service provider (ISP);
- URL of the last webpage visited before visiting our Services; and URL of the first page; the user visits after leaving our Services
- Information about use of the Platform: data stamp, pages viewed, time spent on a page, click through, clickstream data, queries made, search results selected, comments made, search history;
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies; and
- General geographic location.
Information Provided by a User
When a user interacts with our Platform to become a registered user, register for an event, requests a newsletter or other information, or completes a form or a questionnaire, the user submits certain information.
We may collect and/or receive information about the user that reveals the user’s specific identity, or is directly tied to the user’s specific identity, including:
- Postal address;
- Telephone number;
- Email address, or non-email authentication if using a mobile device;
- Business card information;
- Other information, or example: photos, Twitter handle, biography, resume;
- Unique mobile device ID number if accessing our Platform through a mobile application;
- Social media account ID and information shared with us through your social media account; or
- The nature of the Communication sent to or received from the user;
- The purpose of the interaction, and the action we took in response to the user’s inquiry;
- Whether the user opened our Communication or ignore it;
- Any action the user takes upon receipt of such Communication (for example, whether the user registers to attend an event that we offer, or request to receive documentation;
Information We Obtain from Third Parties
We may obtain information from third parties, for example in connection with an event; other sources, such as public databases, join marketing partners or other third parties; or social media network to which our Platform is linked.
Information We Obtain from Surveys and Questionnaires
From time-to-time, we may invite users to participate in surveys or respond to a questionnaire. Participation is voluntary. If you participate, we may request certain personal information from you, such as name, email address, or zip code. We use this information for analytics purposes, to ensure that there are no duplicates, or to send the survey results to the participants. We use may use a third-party service provider to conduct these surveys.
We also may collect and use:
- Information about the user’s activities to infer the user’s assumed interests;
- Information about the user available in public records, or other publicly available databases; and
- Information about the user that we obtain from third party data providers. We obtain this data with assurance from these providers that the user has consented to the collecting and sharing of this data or that this information is available in public records and that is permissible to collect.
5. How we Collect Information
We (and our service providers) collect information in a variety of ways, such as through the methods identified below:
- From the user’s browser;
- From the user’s use of our mobile application, we may track and collect usage data
- When a user fills out a webform on our platform;
- When a user downloads and uses our mobile applications, we collect the user’s unique device ID and all account and activity information will be tied to that unique device ID.
- We may collect information through a user’s activities offline,
- We may obtain information about users from public records, publicly available databases, joint marketing partners, and third-party providers as described above.
- We may obtain certain information through a user’s social media account if it is connected to the user’s account on our Platform.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through a user’s device
- Cookies and other tracking technologies, as explained below.
6. Cookies and Tracking Technologies
Cookies, pixel tags and other tracking technologies are used on our Platform to ensure that it functions properly and to give users a more personalized experience.
Cookies can be “first party cookies” (served by us) or “third parties cookies” (served by others).
Our cookies are used to enable users to navigate our Platform and to use its features; to identify unique users and for authorization purposes; for re-login purposes, and to collect information about users’ choices and preferences), to collect information about social media usage; to collect information about how users use our Platform so that we can improve the way it works.
Third Party Cookies
Third party Cookies are used for functionality, performance, and analytics purposes. These Cookies collect and store automatically information about a user’s computer or mobile device, and the use of our Platform. This information is used in aggregate form only.
7. How We May Use Collected Information
Other than as described in this document, we use the information collected from users or their device as described above for the following purposes:
We use information about a user’s computer or device to ensure that our site, apps, and APIs function properly and are optimized for that user’s computer or device. If a user uses one of our mobile applications, we use the user’s device ID to recognize the user when the user uses the application and to store the user’s preferences and settings. In the case of IP address, we use the IP address to derive approximate location of each user, to calculate usage levels, diagnose server problems, and in general to administer the Service;
We use information about a user to:
- Send administrative information to the user;
- Remember he user’s preference, such as language, font size, when using our Websites;
- Remember the user’s interests, such as the type of seminars attended;
- Personalize the user’s online experience;
- Administer our Platform, diagnose technical problems, and otherwise manage our business;
- Facilitate the user’s use of the Platform;
- Allow the user to navigate or browse through our Platform quickly and efficiently;
- Provide the products or services requested by the user;
- Respond to the user’s inquiries and fulfill the user’s requests, comments, or question;
- Complete and fulfill a transaction with the user.
- Personalize the user’s experience by presenting content that is tailored to that specific user based on what we know about that user.
- Keep records of contact information and correspondence;
- Provide services, such as registration to seminars and other events;
- Allow the user to send Content to a friend through the Platform;
- Improve the user’s experience, such as by personalizing Content to the user’s preferences or interests or expedite the processing and completion of a transaction;
- Communicate with the user about our activities, upcoming events, or actions a user can take;
- Allow the user to participate in events and administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information about users. We recommend that you read these rules carefully.
- Facilitate social sharing functionality, such as sharing content, through social media Platforms, e.g., Facebook and/or Twitter.
- Send marketing information, market research surveys, invitations to events or conferences, webinars, and other events that may be of interest to the user in accordance with the user’s preferences or apparent interests;
- To allow the user to send email messages to others, such as to share content. By using this feature, you guarantee that you have the right to use and provide us the names and email addresses you submit.
Statistics and Security
We use user information to perform data analysis, audits, security and fraud monitoring and prevention; to enhance, improve, or modify our Platform; to identify usage trends; determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; or operate or expand our business activities. We use IP Addresses for administration and security purposes, such as calculating usage levels of our Platform, help diagnose server problems, and detect fraud and spam behavior.
8. Who May Receive User Information
We may share - or may be required to share - information with third parties.
We share information with our service providers, suppliers, subcontractors, and similar third parties who provide services to us, or act on our behalf so that they can assist us with the provision, upkeep, and maintenance of the Services, advertising, media, website hosting, data analytics, information technology and infrastructure, order fulfillment (such as for the organization of conferences and webinars), email delivery, or auditing, and other related activities. Our contracts with these service providers prohibit them from using or sharing with others, for other purposes than as directed by us, the information that we provide to them, or that they collect directly from our users.
Links to Third Party Sites or Services
The Platform may contain links (for example, to view an article) or social networking buttons (for example, Facebook or Twitter) to other websites or services that are not owned, operated or controlled by Company. We have no control over, and are not responsible for the data collection and/or handling practices of such other websites or applications. The display, on the Platform, of a link to a third party’s website or app does not imply our endorsement.
Seminars, Webinars and Events
Some of our seminars, webinars or events may be organized and hosted through a service provider, or in cooperation with unaffiliated organizations. These entities may require attendees to these events to provide information such as name, email address, and/ or phone number. We cannot control their collection or use of information. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of these third parties because they control how such entities handle the information that you provide at the time of registration.
Social Media Networks
The Platform includes links to third party websites and social media networks where a user is able to post comments, reviews or other information. The use of these third-party websites and social media networks may result in the collection and sharing of information about a user with these third-party websites and social media networks.
Please note that any information that is posted or disclosed through social media services may be available to us, or to other users of that service or the public. We recommend caution when using these features.
We may share information about users with third parties for the following purposes. Following disclosure to any third party, the user information so disclosed may be accessible by others to the extent permitted by law.
- Suppliers, subcontractors and business partners (“service providers”): We may share information with our service providers who process information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with them that prohibit them from sharing user information with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes.
- Payment Processing: We work with a Payment Card Industry compliant payment processing company to process credit card payments. If you participate in an event or make any payment to us, our payment processing provider will store on our behalf your full name and credit card details.
- Fraud prevention: We may disclose information when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of Company, users, or others.
- Protection of Legal Rights: When we believe, in our sole discretion, that (a) we are required to do so by law or in response to a subpoena or court order; (b) a user has abused the Platform to attack or to gain unauthorized access to any system, engage in spamming, denial of service attacks, or similar attack; (c) to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims; to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- Law enforcement: We may have to disclose user information when we believe it is necessary or appropriate under applicable laws, if law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or other public or government authorities with appropriate jurisdiction – including public and government authorities in a user’s country of residence - requests that we provide that user’s information, and such request is made using the method required by law in the applicable jurisdiction, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or a court order, and we believe that such request is facially valid;
Aggregate or Statistical Information - We generate and use aggregated or statistical information about the use of our Platform. We may provide this information to third parties such as our Affiliates, advisers or consultants for research, analytical or strategic purposes.
9. Your Privacy Choices
In addition to their choices regarding advertising described in the section immediately above, users have numerous other choices regarding information pertaining to them.
You may choose to block our Platform and other sites from setting certain categories of cookies in the future. if you choose to do so, you should know that large parts of our Site will not work You may wish to refer to http://www.allaboutcookies.org/browsers/index.html for information on commonly used browsers.
Please note that blocking or disabling certain cookies may interfere with certain functionalities of some parts of our Platform. Further, while disabling a cookie may prevent the collection of information in the future, it does not prevent the use of information collected before the cookie was disabled.
You can edit or remove the permissions you have granted to Company to use information from your social media accounts by using the application privacy settings on your social media account.
You can unsubscribe from the receipt of future commercial electronic communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. However, you may not opt out of service related communications (e.g., account verification, technical and security notices).
10. Security; Data Retention
We seek to use reasonable technical, organizational, and administrative measures to protect user information within in our control against unauthorized or unlawful access or processing, and against accidental loss, destruction, or damage. We believe that these measures are reasonably adapted to the nature of the information in our custody.
We limit access to our users’ information to only those employees and third parties who reasonably need access to it to perform the activities attached to their job responsibilities.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that all data we process is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and current to the extent necessary for the purposes for which we use it. However, no data transmission over the Internet, and no security system or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% effective or secure. Thus, we cannot guarantee the security of any information we may have collected or received from or about users.
If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), or if you suspect someone else is using your account, please let us know immediately by contacting us as indicated in the “How to Contact Us” section.
We will retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice, unless a longer retention period is required by law.
11. How to Contact Us
We would love to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback about this Notice. You can contact us [email protected]
Please note that email communications are not always secure; so please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.